Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Steve's 25 Birthday

So Liz thought it best to let me write about the surprise party I had for my birthday. Today is technically my birthday (WOO-HOO!) but with everybody moving away, Liz thought it best to throw the party last week.

I was under the impression Liz and I were just getting away from campus and having a date night. The plans were to go glow-in-the-dark mini golfing followed by some ice cream at Shake's (I think we're both still little kids that just happen to be aging and looking like adults.).
When we got there, I was pretty excited (as you can tell). Cute girl with me, glow-in-the dark golf, and the promise of ice cream...what else could a guy really want? When we got inside, though, I was surpised to see Danielle, Rikki, and Justin (some of my close friends) waiting for us. Now at this point a lightbulb should have clicked on in my head, but no...Liz had to tell me it was a surprise birthday party.

We had a lot of fun. If you're close to Conway, its worth checking out. The place plays surprisingly good music and the entire game was close competition. Somehow (still not sure if it was a birthday gift or what) I pulled off winning by one stroke. Afterwards, everybody headed back to our apartment for our cake.


Liz created an awesome birthday cake of cupcakes. It was an Indiana Jones cake that recreated one of the scenes from the new movie. If you've seen the movie, it was the scene with the ants that devoured any people it came across. Cool, right? Along with the cake, I had a music-playing birthday card that played the Indiana Jones theme music. I had been singing it ever since I saw the previews for the movie, and seeing the movie didn't help me stop. I still sing it...
After the cake, Liz gave me my present. Well, a box that I thought had my present in it. Instead it led me to a kitchen cabinet...then to the bedroom closet. While everyone enjoyed me searching through the apartment, I found the gift and it was completely unexpected...ROCKBAND! As soon as I pulled it out of the bedroom and people saw what it was, it was like a siren went off. Everyone was up and assembling instruments, installing batteries, hooking up the Playstation 2. It was like Christmas chaos.

For those of you unfamiliar with the game, ROCKBAND allows people who have never played an instrument (like me) to convince ourselves we could have been famous rockstars. You have the option of playing guitar, playing the drums, or being the lead singer. We all shifted instruments, but Justin and I were partial to the guitar, Rikki and Liz to the drums, and Danielle stuck to the microphone. It was some amazing fun. Eventually, all the people with good judgment left and Liz and I remained playing until we were practically asleep at our instruments.

The birthday was amazing. The best part was it just kept getting better the whole time. I would have been happy just having my date, let alone getting to play with my friends. The cake and company was amazing, let alone getting such an awesome gift.

The last lesson to be learned: Liz is pretty dang sneaky when she chooses to be. Just let that be a warning.

4 comments:

Amanda D Allen said...

Happy Birthday! I'm sad I missed it. It looks like you guys had a great time.

Steve & Liz said...

Amanda,

Thanks for the birthday wishes! It would have been awesome to have your company, as the road to this great birthday gift was paved by our Guitar Hero experience with you and Mike.

Rikki said...

So... I don't have much to say about the night except... oh yeah... it ROCKED! And, much like playing guitar hero with the Allen's turned you on to getting ROCKBAND, us playing with you on your secret birthday party turned us on to it and we went out and bought it the day it came out on Wii.

And in the picture on the blog the back of my head is really shiny.

Seriously, thanks Liz! for introducing Rockband to my life and giving me a new and spectacular way of procrastinating. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I am sorry also that I missed your birthday!! I hope it was awesome!! :]